What Is TRiO Upward Bound?
Upward Bound (UB) is a program that is federally funded through the United States Department of Education. Upward Bound is one of eight TRiO programs designed to promote academic success. Upward Bound is a college completion program serving students enrolled at DeKalb High School. Kishwaukee’s Upward Bound program provides the support, motivation, and academic preparation necessary to go to college.
Who is eligible?
What kind of services do you provide?
As a 100% federally funded program, there are criteria that students must meet in order to be served by the program. You are eligible to participate in UB if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a first-generation college student (If neither of your parents, or parent you reside with, or legal guardian(s) did not receive a bachelor’s degree or higher)
- Qualify as a low-income student. Refer to Federal TRIO Programs chart listing of Annual Low Income Levels.
- Demonstrate a need for academic support in preparation for entry into an educational program after high school graduation.
In addition, students must:
- Be enrolled at DeKalb High School
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or legally in the country with intent to become a resident.
- Be committed to attending a college or university immediately after high school
How much does the program cost?
Academic Preparation for College
- Academic and college preparatory workshops
- Tutoring and homework help sessions
- 6-week academic summer program on Kishwaukee College’s campus
- Summer Bridge Program available for UB participants the summer after high school graduation prior to college enrollment
Educational and Career Planning
- Academic advising
- Organization, time management and life skills workshops
- College and career workshops
- College visits, cultural enrichment activities, and special events
College Admissions and Financial Aid Information
- Preparation for ACT, PSAT & SAT
- Individual assistance with college admissions applications
- Individual assistance with scholarship & financial aid applications
How do I apply?
The program is absolutely free to eligible program participants. However, your commitment, effort and motivation to succeed are required.
How do I connect with Upward Bound?
If you would like to be one of 60 students who receive individualized support through UB and you meet the eligibility requirements, please complete and return the application to firstname.lastname@example.org, the Kishwaukee College TRiO Upward Bound Office C2123 or the DeKalb High School Student Services Office.
- The student must be recommended by at least two DeKalb High School officials (teacher and counselor) as having potential for success in college, but being unlikely to seek admission without additional support.
- The student must complete the application package and, if selected, participate in an interview with an Upward Bound staff and parents.
- The student must be willing and able to participate in program activities. Weekly and bi-weekly Saturday sessions must be attended.
- Complete the application package and, if selected, participate in an interview with UB staff members
- Students must be willing to fully participate in UB in the Summer Academy and during the school year. There will be two Saturday components a month.
- UB gives preference to students who is willing to remain in the program through graduation from high school
Visit us at:
DeKalb High School, Upward Bound Room W102 during our office/tutor hours:
Friday, By Appointment
Kishwaukee College, TRiO Upward Bound Office C2129 during our office hours:
Monday-Thursday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Call or e-mail us at:
815-825-9552 or email@example.com
Connect with us on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter to learn about Upward Bound and Kishwaukee updates and events:
Kishwaukee College Upward Bound
Meet our Staff
Director, Tashena Briggs
Case Manager, Keyanna Washington
Administrative Assistant, Shelley Lawson
Upward Bound Picture Gallery